From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2006 11:19:02 -0700
For your intended use, you really don't need a powerful machine.
Tigerdirect.com always has some deals with rebates (they stand behind
the rebates and I've never had a problem) going on combo packages. I
would look for a motherboard with onboard video and audio with provision
for AGP or PCI express video cards in case you wanted to upgrade in the
future. A Celeron 2.93 (for now it seems to be the most prolific for
best net price) CPU with heat sink/fan along with 512MB of RAM would
suffice for your use. You should be able to buy it as a combo package
for about $150 plus shipping. You might even consider buying a package
deal including a case and just figure that the case power supply is
either expendable or a future backup. Normally the PS in cheap cases are
only worth what you pay for them, a few dollars, if that.

There are many places to buy cases without power supplies. You might
want to primarily consider cost including shipping. The cheapest cases
are flimsy, but for home use without abuse, they will suffice. Make sure
they will handle the drives you will be using as well as a little room
(bays) for future expansion. Also, make sure the motherboard will fit in
the case without any problems since sometimes the case design and added
components on the motherboard can conflict. Reviews from other buyers
are handy to avoid this type of problem.

A clean install of XP would be the best way to go. If you have any data
you want to save off the hard drive, save it first. XP will then
recognize the new set up and configure itself properly. You will need to
reactivate it with Microsoft.  I've not run into any problems doing that
with most instances being automatic and only a couple of times having to
explain the upgrade to a real person.

Have fun with the build. You might want to research computer building
sites with pictures on the Internet and print out the one you like best.
Do the build one step at a time with frequent start up tests. It is
easier to correct any build problems along the way than waiting to the
end. I have always found that attaching the wires from the case to the
motherboard for power LED, hard drive LED, speaker, etc. were not hard
but almost always wrong the first time. If you have a problem with
these, just turn them 180 degrees (reverse polarity). Some day
motherboard manufacturers might include close up pictures of these
connections in the assembly instructions.

Tom Mayer

Stephen R Stanfield wrote:
> Hello All, Thanx for response to last post, but I think it is time to
> build one.  I just purchased an Ultra 500 W X-Finity Power Supply.
> Hard drive is 1 1/2 yrs old so i plan on re-using that along with CD
> drive and floppy drive.  I use this mainly for searching internet,
> small business programs and emailing friends.  I am leaning towards
> Core 2 Duo.  I don't think I can re-use memory.  Is bundling mb and
> cpu good idea? If so, what cpu to choose?  Which case?  Most of the
> cases I have seen @ Tiger Direct have power supplies with them, which
> I don't need.  I would appreciate some suggestions.  I am anxiously
> looking forward to attempting this task.
> Thanx
> stephen r stanfield

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml