Date:
Thu, 15 Aug 2002 19:59:59 -0400
I just installed an HP Officejet G85xi all-in-one connected to a
network of WinXP Pro PCs with a Jetdirect print server.  I really
haven't used the scanning function yet but the manual says that
you initiate the scan on the control panel of the Officejet and
tell the scanner which computer name to scan to and apparently it
will send the scan to that computer.

Only if your model supports network scanning will you be able to
do it.  Check into the model specs further maybe on HP's KB to
see if this is the case.

Dan Kucherich

> I was installing an HP Officejet D135, (printer, scanner, fax,
etc) on a
> small network.  It installed fine on the host computer (new
Dell running
> WinXP Pro).  I shared the printer and fax and then installed
them as a
> network printer on another computer (new Dell laptop running
WinXP home).
> This is in a small office where the Officejet is physically
behind the two
> workers.
>
> All is well in printer and fax land, but is it possible to
share the
> scanner?  HP gives instructions on how to share the "device" on
a network,
> but doesn't go any further than sharing a printer.  Microsoft
XP help files
> indicate that you can share a scanner.  I found a note on the
MS
> knowledgebase that said the documentation was wrong.  It
appears that if the
> Officejet were to install itself as a scanner, then the scanner
could be
> shared - but it doesn't.  I've not been able to separate the
printer, fax
> and scanner drivers to try to install the device as a scanner.
>
> Any suggestions on how to share the scanner portion of this
Officejet?

> Thanks!
> Ron Jobe

                     support at our newest website: