From:
Frank B Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Jun 1998 19:44:58 -0700
Installing a new hard drive is about as hard as making toast.  Particularly,
if you are tossing the old one.  You simply unplug the old drive, and remove
it from the frame.  Then install the new one.

Now making it work:

Most drives come from the mfg with a low level disk format, but even if you
get one w/o that it isn't terribly hard.  once it's plugged in, you boot
from floppy and run FDISK, following the choices for your particular drive
(FDISK has become much easier to use).  Then you format the drive and
install the OS...  I assume you have the floppy that came with Win95... if
you installed Win95 as an upgrade, there are ways to trick it into loading
by itself... but I never got it to work; and had to reinstall DOS, WIN 3.1,
and then Win 95 (a real bother) and then all of my other software.

You should save all the essential files: your email address book, your
favorites or bookmarks from your browser, any and all files (tax records,
for instance) that you have on the old drive, so that you can re-install
them.

Finally, are you running Scandisk from Windows or DOS?   If Windows, try
booting to the DOS mode and running scandisk again... this has worked for me
in the past....

Frank B Smith

 but have no earthly idea how to
put a new hard drive in and re-install everything from scratch.  The
only time the computer locks up is when I try to do a thorough disk
scan. My daughter wants to take the computer to college with her, so
will this hard drive last?