From:
James Maki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jul 2005 08:37:12 -0700
Bob,

Without additional info (some of which you don't know yet since the original
cause of the problem is unknown), the following tips are just a guideline of
how I would approach the problem.

First, I would make an image of the new computers hard drive to have a
"safety net" in case something goes wrong. I have used Ghost (from Symantec)
in the past but currently a satisfied Acronis TrueImage user. These programs
allow you to make an image of the hard drive(s) in you system so you can
return to a known good state if disaster should occur.

Next, I would open the old computer and remove the hard drive. Open the new
system case and add the old hard drive to the new system. Since you only
have a single hard drive in the new system. I would make the drive from the
old system a slave on the secondary channel of the new system. Then Boot to
windows. Windows should be able to see the old hard drive. If the drive is
still working, you should now be able to copy your old files to the new
computer's hard drive. I would only copy the selected data files you can
identify as useful.

If you have a problem at this point, post what you have done to this and
what is working and not working. We can try to give ideas for the next step.

A second possible approach would be to download a boot linux system such as
knoppix. You burn this to a CD and then boot the old system from the cd,
bypassing the operating system on the old computer. This might give you
access to the data on the hard drive. What you do from this point depends on
what you find and if knoppix actually boots.

Let us know what happens. I am sure others will give alternative ideas.
There are many ways to approach this problem and the best approach really
depends on what you find at each step along the way. Good Luck

Jim Maki