From:
Brian McCarthy <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jan 2007 12:23:20 -0600
The *easy* answer in my experience with XP is a qualified "yes".... The bad
thing is that quite often a non-destructive install leaves on your computer
whatever your reason was for re-installing XP.  ('n if you understand what I
just said you can be my 7-11 translator.)

What I have taken to doing ('cause I seem to be doing it a LOT) is to do a
quick search for 1) Pictures, Music or Video, and  2) Documents, to make
sure I got everything backed up that could possibly NEED to be backed up....
Then I'll copy the Favorites folder to my Flash drive or to a floppy... Oh,
and the Mail folder, etc. if Outlook is active...

THEN I'll print out the system information, ESPECIALLY the motherboard
make/model, ect. (Hey, I are a MykroSoft Engenir... *Redundancy* is my
middle name.)

After all that is said 'n done, I'll Format and do a clean XP install. 'n if
there are kids involved I'll partition the drive and use DeepFreeze on the
boot partition. (Otherwise I gotta do it all again in a week or so.)

I'm sure that there are easier (and *shorter*) ways to do the deed but I
have two computer labs (elementary and high school) and an Admin subnet that
has been down only once in the seven years that I have been here. For me,
doing it the *long* way has freed up my evenings and weekends for more
*important* things... Like watching Millennium reruns.

"Take what you need and with a breath of kindness, blow the rest awy."

- Brian D. McCarthy

>From: Diane Kroeckel <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: [PCBUILD] reinstalling XP
>Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2007 07:34:32 -0600
>
>I was wondering if I reinstall XP Pro on my system, will it delete
>everything, or just install over my stuff and I'd have to reinstall my
>programs, but my data would still be there.  Naturally I'd back up
>everything first anyway.  Like a nondestructive install, or a destructive
>install.
>
>Diane Kroeckel

Your opinion matters. Please tell us what you think and be entered into a
draw for a grand prize of $500 or one of 20 $50 cash prizes.
http://www.youthographyinsiders.com/R.aspx?a=116

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com