From:
Carroll Grigsby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 20:41:20 -0500
On Wednesday 18 December 2002 12:44 pm, Paul Ryan wrote:
> Hi,
> I have two questions regarding Linux. The first is it possible to mount
> the Linux partition with win98,second how can I change the properties of
> mmt/windows/My Documents to allow me as a normal user to change and
> store documents on my Windows partition when using Linux.  I would also
> be interested in mailing lists similar to the PCBuild dealing mostly
> with Linux as a newbie .
> Thank You.
> Paul Ryan

Paul:
I'm not entirely sure about your first question, but let me give it a try.

1. If you want to be able to access Linux data files from Windows, yes there
is a program that will do that. (Sorry, but I don't have a reference
available, but I can find it if you need it.) Perhaps a better approach that
is commonly used is to create a FAT32 (or FAT16) partition that is dedicated
to any data that you wish to be accessible to either OS. (NTFS partitions are
another question, however. Linux can read such files, but cannot reliably
write to them.) Another advantage to this scheme is that it greatly
simplifies the backup process.

2. If you want to run Linux applications under Windows, I do not believe that
is possible. Mandrake distributions used to include a program called Lnx4Win
that allowed Linux to be installed under Windows. Its intended market was for
people who wanted to experiment with Linux, but were afraid of all of the
partitioning hassles. Mandrake dropped it a year or two ago because it didn't
work very well and, when it did work, it was glacially slow. (On the bright
side, it did teach a lot about patience.)

3. Most Linux distributions sponsor either mail lists or forums. If you use
Mandrake, I'd recommend their mail list ([log in to unmask]); you subscribe
through the link at the Mandrake home page at www.linux-mandrake.com/en/.
Expect lots of mail (75-100 per day). Since its not a moderated list, not
everything is on-topic, but responses are often timely and helpful.

4. Mandrake also sponsors forums at www.mandrakeforum.com and at the Mandrake
Club. The latter is presently an extra-cost service that includes some other
benefits to its members; I understand that its forums are to be made
available to the public and that the mandrake forum will be dropped.

5. There's also a newsgroup at alt.os.linux.mandrake; similar groups exist for
most other Linux distributions. I'm not a big fan of newsgroups -- too much
spam and too many flamewars.

6. Another good starting point (and not specific to any one distribution) is
http://www.linuxnewbie.org/.

HTH,
Carroll Grigsby

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: