From:
"Walter R. Worth" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 1999 14:42:30 -0800
On Monday, December 13, 1999 10:58 AM,  "J & M Home Computer Services"
<[log in to unmask]> wrote:

Can someone explain why I get a Msgsrv32 fault when I go to shutdown my
computer? I'm running PentiumIII - 500, Win98 2nd Edition with 256 ram.

 Many people are experiencing problems which they can trace back to
Msgsrv32. But Msgsrv32 is not the cause. Msgsrv32.exe is a program (Windows
32-bit message server) that performs     several background functions
necessary for Windows operation.

These functions include:

shutdown.

(2)  Running  the shell program (usually Explorer.exe) and re-run the shell
if it fails to respond Mediate Plug and Play messages among various parts of
the operating system.

(3) Coordinating automatic responses to Setup programs. This includes
checking whether a Setup program has improperly overwritten Windows files,
and optionally restoring the Windows versions of those files and

(4) Displaying the initial logon dialog box if networking is enabled Play
the system startup and shutdown sounds.  Usually these messages appear on
shutdown.

Here are some more common errors and their causes:  MSGSRV32.DLL caused a
General Protection Fault in Module 8330SB.DRV.  In this case, you need to
visit the C-Media site and upgrade your drivers. See: Microsoft Knowledge
Base Article Q188803.  Msgsrv32 not responding. See: Microsoft Knowledge
Base Article Q16998.

WRT the amount of installed ram, this issue always comes up and invariably,
the answer isn't the amount of ram you have installed but "how" well the
resources are managed by Windows 9.x. and whether the programs you use (have
open or started on startup) "are" actually returning the ram used when the
programs are closed.  Try using the resource meter,
Start>Programs>Accessories>System Tools>click on Resource Meter.  You may
also want to use System Monitor (which you may have to add if it wasn't
installed) . Use the above routine to get to it.  If you need to install it,
Start>Settings>Control Panel>Double-click the Add/Remove Programs
icon>select the Windows Setup tab>click System Tools>Details>System
Monitor>Exit the System Tools window and Control Panel. HTH. :-)

Walter R. Worth

                     visit our download web page at:
                     http://nospin.com/pc/files.html