From:
Herbert Graf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 10:17:32 -0400
> I have been building P/Cs for about 3 years now and have been
> fairly successful in selling them.
> Recently I've had several customers asking about  building them
> portable Notebook/Laptop type P/Cs.
> I think this might be worth trying,  but I know absolutely
> nothing about the supply sources for Parts, displays,
> Cases, etc.  I'd also like to know why so few independent "clone
> builders" don;t build the portables.
> Can anyone out there please enlighten me on the pros and cons of
> building portables?  Any info would be greatly appreciated...

     Well, there is a simple answer to this, you can't! An individual cannot
buy "components" to build a laptop like one can for a normal desktop system.
This is one of the only areas in computers where this is still so (on the PC
side at least, you still can't buy Macs other than prebuilt). It is possible
that you may be able to source the parts needed to build one, but chances
are you would not be able to buy them in small quantities, more likely you'd
have to buy in very large quantities. Hope this helped, TTYL

      special "Free-After-Rebate" Software specials in conjunction
          with Beyond.com.   We have new offers all the time!!!
                      http://nospin.com/promotions