From:
A&C Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Oct 2002 16:13:28 -0700
From: "Vince Teachout"
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] Modem Networking? UPDATE

> At 10:32 PM 10/22/02 +1000, Ultra wrote:
> >maybe I'm mistaking, but for better security, you do need ZA on 2nd machine.
> >the reason isn't for incoming traffic, since it already filtered by the one
> >which connect the internet; however, for control outgoing traffic, you must
> >have ZA on local machine, as it will show you what is calling the net and if
> >you see anything that shouldn't, block it (do not set ZA to full auto mode,
> >let it show every and any programs which want the right to connect the
> >internet, and you do the judgement yourself).
>
> You're absolutely right.  I was thinking my machine was protecting the
> whole network, but when you wrote, I realized it can't possibly be watching
> the 2nd computer's outbound, because you have to set that computer to
> "Trusted."  Ooops.  Guess I'd better go add it back to the startup on the
> other computer.  Thanks.

I don't know - I'm sure every setup is different, but on my setup...

I tried to connect to the Internet from machine B but Zone Alarm on machine A caught the attempt and blocked
it, even though machine B was set up intentionally not to be able to use the Internet, (via home networking
wizard) and its in the trusted zone (in ZA). For what it's worth, here's my setup:

Machine A has Zone Alarm.
Machine B does not.
Machine A has two NICS, machine B has one.
Machine A has full Internet access via NIC #1
Machine A has full access to machine B via NIC #2 (Intranet)
Machine B has full access to machine A via NIC #3 (Trusted zone in ZA)

Perhaps I should try some different programs to attempt access to the net from machine B? It sure appears that
Zone Alarm is blocking its access, which is exactly what I wanted. I hope that's the case because machine B
has no AV program - my intent is to scan everything on machine A first, before B ever receives it.

Al Thompson

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com