From:
Thomas Holmes <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 17 Oct 2000 10:35:43 EDT
In a message dated 10/17/00 8:33:08 AM Central Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

> Subj:       Re: [PCBUILD] Problem with Printer Sharing
>  Date:    10/17/00 8:33:08 AM Central Daylight Time
>  From:    [log in to unmask] (Russ Poffenberger)
>  Sender:  [log in to unmask] (PCBUILD - Personal Computer
Hardware
> discussion List)
>  To:  [log in to unmask]
>
>  Michael Wosnick <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>  > Hello,
>  >
>  > I am having difficulty setting up my 2-computer network to be able to
use
> my
>  > single printer. My network seems otherwise to function just fine: I can
> see
>  > each computer under Network Neighborhood, I can ping each computer, I can
>  > share my cable modem from each computer (2 IPs), I can share files
between
>  > the 2 computers. But I can't seem to get the 2nd  computer to use the
>  > printer that is attached to the LPT1 port of the first.
>  >
>  > Setup: computer A is a Dell desktop PC, Win 98, HP DeskJet 722c inkjet
>  > printer plugged into LPT1. Computer B is a Dell Latitude laptop, Win
98SE.
>  > Both are plugged into a Linksys Ethernet 5 port hub, as is my cable
modem.
>  > have Client for Microsoft Windows installed, and I have the service
> Support
>  > for file and printer sharing enabled. I do NOT have file and printer
> sharing
>  > on TCP/IP (for security reasons), but both computers have NetBEUI
> installed
>  > and file and printer sharing is attached to NetBEUI on both computers.
>
>  The HP drivers for the lower end printers do not share. I am almost
> convinced
>  this is by design, to prevent you from sharing them so they can sell more
>  printers.
>
>  It IS possible to share them in general, Win2K has built-in drivers for
many
> HP
>  DeskJet printers (including my HP710C), and it shares just fine, just the
HP
>  supplied drivers for Windows 95/98 do not.

     We obtained a printer driver update from HP for a DeskJet 855c that
allowed printer sharing across a network, but came with a disclaimer that the
printer was not designed for the anticipated level of service and, thus,
might be expected to suffer a reduced service life.  Peculiarly, we found
that these drivers would not install properly over the net.  We were
compelled to install the updated driver set locally on each workstation and
then, as to each, to reinstall as a network printer.  The installation error
message was to the effect that a file in the set was in use and could not be
accessed for remote installation.  It has worked properly for two years since.

Tommy Holmes, Jr.

                         PCBUILD's List Owner's:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>