Date:
Thu, 6 Nov 2003 22:15:51 -0500
On 4 Nov 2003 Annette Robart <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] No drive letter

The thing is, this is a hard drive off of another computer with important information on it that I need to save. It was starting to get disk write errors and I just wanted to hook it up as a slave on another computer to get the information off of it. Could it be that the hard drive is just toast??  I just installed it brand new a month ago.
Mike Michel answered:
Annette,
Since your were getting disk write errors-- it is very posible that the drive is toast. Have you tried it as the only drive in your system? (as a master drive)

If it can't be set up in BIOS either manualy or automatic, than it must be defective.

If your having problems with harddrive failers in a computer, than the power supply is a suspect. As a general rule, as they get old the dc output voltage will rise and decrease the normal life of a Harddrive or a CD-ROM. So an accurate measurement of the voltage output is essential.

Mike Michel

Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com

                     support at our newest website:
                          http://freepctech.com