From:
Russell Smith <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 22:04:08 -0600
(1) Can someone give me some tips on installing and using this card.

  Install it in the slot (no drive attached at first) and let it be
recognized in Windows (you didn't mention what version...hope it is
98...95 is more problematic). Install the driver. It will now show up in
Device Manager as a SCSI controller card. Then shut down and connect
your drive.

(2) Will I be able to boot from the drive installed on the card?

  Maybe...newer boards have a BIOS that allows the SCSI to be the first
boot option and that would work. But yours is older and might not have
that option. If your board doesn't support that option you'll just have
to try it and see if it will boot without the SCSI first option Promise
technical support may have some suggestions. I've never booted with one
without the SCSI option myself.

> Is it recognized by my MB bios?

   It's separate from your MB BIOS and will be displayed as such on boot
screens.

(3) If I uninstall the EZ software will my data still be able to be read
or will I loose whatever is installed on the drive.  I was hoping not to
reformat.

   You should be OK...just follow the directions from WD's website to
remove EZ BIOS. Make sure you read this:
http://www.westerndigital.com/service/FAQ/dlgtools.html#lba

>(4) When I origianlly installed the EZ software and the 10 gig drive,
it was a drive "D" and I didn't think the EZ would install on my "C"
drive, but it did.  Why would that be? I didn't need it for that drive,
just for the new drive.  If I unistall it on that drive will that data
be lost?

   No...you will retain your data.

(5) Is this the preferred method of installing a larger HD or should I
keep the EZ software.

   Yes...remove the overlay software.

HTH,

Russell Smith