From:
Robert Castorf <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 12 May 2002 18:42:03 -0700
I tried unsuccessfully to upgrade the memory in my SuperMicro P6DBE
motherboard from 128 MB unbuffered ECC CL3 to 512 MB (2x256) registered
ECC CL3.  (Both memories are PC133 even though the motherboard is
limited to 100.)

The system has been running fine for over a year with the 128MB
unbuffered, but fails to pass the POST tests with the 512MB registered
-- the AMI BIOS issues a 6 beep code, indicating a gate A20 failure.

My user's manual specifies "512 MB unbuffered 3.3V SDRAM or 1 GB
registered SDRAM". Can anyone tell me if this means that registered
memory will work only with the full complement of 1GB? If so, I'll spend
another $200 for 2x256, but I would hate to do that if it still won't
work. My other option, of course, is to go back to unbuffered, but I
would like to use the registered if I can, since I just bought it for
this purpose.

Thanks,
Bob Castorf