From:
Jeffrey Delzer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 16 Jun 1998 00:07:17 -0500
R.E. Christian wrote:

> 3a) What about the ANALOG AUDIO outs, any sources of Y cables to connect 2
> drives ANALOG outs to a single input on the Sound Card.

I just installed a Memorex CRW-1622 CD-R/W along side my original CD-ROM
drive, and to be able to play music CD's in either drive I ran a patch
cord from the headphone jack of one drive around to the Line In on my
sound card. It's not elegant and invisible, but it works. If there's a
better way, I hope someone will speak up. I don't think a simple Y cable
will work, at least not properly.

> 4) What sound cards are being used and your experiences? Turtle Beach,
> Audiowave etc..

Between following MANY discussions on Usenet and reading as many reviews
as I could find, the Turtle Beach line of cards seem to be widely
regarded as being quite a bit better, especially regarding noise and
sound quality, than comparable Creative Labs SB products. In particular,
the TBeach Montego A3DXstream earned some high marks, and sells for
$85-$95 or so. The TB site is http://www.tbeach.com. If I were buying a
new sound card today, it would be the Montego. YMMV.

Jeff Delzer