From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Apr 2008 15:32:46 -0500
I have built a Windows Home Server using an older computer.  Once a WHS is set up, it is no longer necessary to have a keyboard,
mouse, monitor, etc. connected to the basic box which is accessed via the lan.  Since it would be nice to let it run 24/7, as a good
citizen, I would like to strip it of everything in order to minimize power usage.

I was able to remove the video card, and it started and ran fine after giving a long and three short beeps.

However, the next time I tried, it shut down soon after the beeps.  I could not get it to work again.  When I replaced the video
card, it worked fine again.

1.  Does anyone know if there is a way to run the computer without a video card?  Before my first attempt I assumed that it wouldn't
run without one, but the first - successful - attempt emboldened me.  :)  I guess the same question will occur for the keyboard, but
I doubt that a keyboard uses much power; it just would be in the way.

2.  If the monitor is unplugged and the screen saver is on, set to black, does the video card use much power?

(I'll plug it into my APC with wattmeter when I get a chance and see what it says the power usage is.)

Operating system:  WHS, based on Windows Server 2003, based on Windows 2000.

ASUS 8N32 SLI Deluxe motherboard, ASUS EN7800 GTX video card, AMD 64 FX processor.

Thanks for your help,

Dean Kukral

                     visit our download web page at:
                  http://freepctech.com/downloads.shtml