From:
Mary Wolden <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 May 2001 01:38:39 -0500
From: "Paul Hachmeyer" :Sent: Monday, May 14, 2001 9:33 PM
Subject: [PCBUILD] Adding SCSI drive to WIN98 w/ide drive

> I'm trying to add a Seagate SCSI drive w/ adaptec 2940 card to my HP
> 266 machine.  Win98 recognizes the scsi card, the card recognizes
> the drive.  I low-level formated the drive via the scsi card
> utilities, but the machine won't boot.  It appears to default to the
> scsi drive looking to load a bios from it rather than from the ide
> drive and just freezes.
> What is causing the scsi drive to appear to be the primary drive
> rather than secondary?  IDE jumpers set as primary, SCSI has no
> jumpers to set it to secondary, seagate drive documentation doesn't
> address this issue.  Should I set the ide as the secondary drive?

Paul,

Does your BIOS allow you to select to boot from ide, scsi or other?  If it does then you will need to select IDE drive to boot from.  If the BIOS does not allow selecting which device to boot from then this may be a function of your motherboard and you may have to have the SCSI drive as your boot drive.  Some older motherboards did not have the BIOS selection on what drive to boot from.  I had one motherboard that let me boot from the IDE drive and another that would not let me boot from the IDE drive but selected the SCSI drive to boot from.

Mary Wolden

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>
                       Drew Dunn<[log in to unmask]>