From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Sep 2008 16:10:40 -0700
If you go onto the Microsoft site, they will send you SP2 on CD for
free. I am not aware of any reason not to apply this update. After that
you will want to install most if not all critical updates since SP2. The
comments on SP3 seem to be mostly good with some negatives still around
so that update is up to you. If you do not install SP3, consider the
latest updates to SP2. This might solve your issue.

For now, you can use Windows to try to establish the Internet connection
via "start/settings/network connections/new connection wizard".

I assume that the router and modem are communicating and that the
challenge is in/at the computer level.

Tom

Harvey Rose wrote:
> I recovering from a Windows XP Home Edition crash. I reinstalled Windows done everthing to connect. I using Windows without SP1, 2002 The motherboard is a
> Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4 I used the setup to check the on board 1394. The system hardware from Windows shows it is operating proper. The setup shows detecting port:
> Pair 3-6 short 4.0m. The rest are open.
>
> I've tried connecting through my router and straight through the DSL modem to no avail. The light on the port flashes yellow. I've checked my passwords and user name are right. Could it be that I need SP1 to make it work?
> I see in the motherboard manual that some of the drivers require SP1 like the sound card.

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com