From:
Earl Truss <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 07:38:51 -0500
I've had problems like this with the past two CD-ROM drives I've had.
My system will sometimes lock up when copying a very large file from a
CD to the hard drive.  Restarting the system and trying to do the copy
again will cause a lockup at the same point every time.  By reducing the
supplemental cache size, I was always able to get around this problem,
but it slows down the transfer rate of the CD-ROM somewhat.  Try this
before some of the other suggestions since it is easier to do.

Open Control Panel.  Select "System".  Click on the "Performance" tab
then the "File System" button at the bottom of the window.  In the next
window, "File System Properties", click on the CD-ROM tab.  Move the
"Supplemental Cache Size" slider all the way to the left.   Make sure
the "Optimize access pattern" text box is set correctly for your CD-ROM.
Click on OK and close all the Control Panel windows and restart your
system.  Try copying a CD-ROM that has given you problems in the past
and see if it now works.

I used to switch back and forth between the minimum and maximum
supplemental cache setting when I had crashes copying a CD with my old
CD-ROM drive because of the reduced performance with the smaller cache
size.  With my latest drive, a Toshiba Ultra DMA 33 drive, I have been
able to keep the cache size at a minimum without that big performance
reduction and I've not had a problem with lockups any more.