From:
Frank Suszka <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 26 Jun 2005 11:10:14 -0700
Alan Smith wrote;
>I've installed a new ASUS mobo, now, do I install the mobo program or
>my OS (win2kpro ) FIRST ??

As a rule of thumb you want to install the OS first and then the motherboard
specific drivers after that. You have an option to install any or all of the
programs that came with the board. I do a custom install because I want to
have control over what goes in the system. If there are programs you don't
use or may never use, don't clutter up the drive by installing these items.
Most of the programs are older versions and will require updates. For my
part I would install what's needed to begin with. You can always come back
and install something else. The main thing is to install the drivers for the
chip sets and NIC if it is built in. Once you have completed these two step
you are ready to venture on.

The third step is going to "Windows update" and download all of the security
patches and whatever else your OS needs. Once this is done, I would do a
defrag and chkdisk to insure all is well. At this point you have a clean
install that you can back up to a CD for future use if needed.

The forth step is going to the Manufacturers web site and download all of
the specific drivers for your board. Install them, put them on a cd and the
rest is up to whatever your needs are.

> I'm anxious to get it going.

<Smile> Go for it and have fun.

Sincerely,