Date:
Thu, 6 Mar 2003 11:28:47 +1300
For the benefit of those who don't mess with boot disks too often, here's a
few tips that apply to W98, but should also be the same for W95.

You can construct a simple boot disk by inserting a blank floppy and going
to My Computer, then Control Panel\Add-Remove Programs\Startup Tab.

This will get you a boot disk that contains Command.com, Drvspace.bin,
Io.sys and Msdos.sys.  These four files are enough to boot your computer
into DOS.

Another way to achieve the same result is to go, in Windows, to
Start\Programs\MS-Dos Prompt.  Insert a blank floppy and type  'format a:
/s' (no quotes).

Yet another method is to go to My Computer, right click the floppy icon and
select Format.

But if you want a boot disk that'll enable you to run a CD drive in DOS
(which is essential if you want to install or reinstall Windows from CD), go
here to this list group's own website, and download the appropriate file:
http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml

When it's downloaded, insert an empty floppy, and click the file to create a
boot disk that will enable you to access your CD drive in DOS.

If you're a little more ambitious, leave the floppy in the drive and go to
C:\Windows\Command.  Copy the following files to the floppy, by right
clicking each one and selecting 'Send To'... '3 1/2" Floppy (A)'.
Format.com, Xcopy.exe, Xcopy32.exe, Xcopy.mod, Attrib.exe, Deltree.exe,
Edit.com, and Move.exe.

The contents of the floppy should now be about 1.36Mb, which should fit on
OK. You've now got a fairly useful multi-purpose boot disk which will do
quite a few different tasks.

To get more information about these tasks, you can go to the MS-Dos Prompt
described above and type (for example)  'format /?'  (no quotes) The
information is helpful, albeit fairly cryptic, and tells you how to add
qualifiers to the command.

Ian Porter
Computer Guys Inc.
Arrowtown