From:
Larry Fisk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 23 Jun 2000 12:39:07 -0600
I had a similar problem with an intel mobo with onboard crystal sound.
the solution was in control panel/multimedia -  "use any available
device" was selected
as the preferred device for playback.
When I selected the crystal sound device as the preferred device the
volume control icon
reappeared and the sound worked properly.
The volume control applet seems to be tied into whatever device mixer
your system is using.
Worth a look see.