From:
Tim Lider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 3 Jun 1998 09:07:34 -0700
Hello Jeffrey,

At 12:59 PM 6/2/98 +0800, you wrote:

>        I am running NT 4.0 on a 150 MHz Pentium Pro Server with 128 MB
>RAM, 1 x 2.1 GB Seagate Fireball ATA Harddisk (Boot Disk), 1 x 6.1 GB
>Seagate Fireball ATA Harddisk (Exchange Server 5.0 and User Mailbox). We
>have 120 users accessing this server. The server currently having
>performance problem and my supplier suggested to upgrade to SCSI
>Harddisk. Their recommendation  - Adaptec Ultra Wide PCI SCSI Host
>Adapter (AHA-2940UW) with 1 x 9.1 GB Seagate Ultra Wide Harddisk
>(ST391073W).
>
>        Is this a good combination ?

  The combo will work and you might see a speed increase.  I think your
problem could be the RAM.  150 users? Wow!  You might want to 256MB to
512MB of RAM and upgrade the computer as well.

  As for the hard drive situation.  I would do the following:  Get 2 x 9GB
SCSI-UW hard disk's. The reason for this is so that you can mirror the 9GB
disks. This gives you data protection, and trust me, e-mail is VERY important.

  Where I work, only a measly 12 workstations and 3 NT servers. The
application / file server is a dual 166MHz Pentium with only 128MB of RAM,
is also the PDC, it has 4 Quantum Atlas II 4.5GB SCSI-UW hard drives. 1 of
them is the boot device, 2 of them are mirroring, the other is stand alone.
On the mirror set the company data is located, trust me the mirror works.
The server also has a 48GB RAID on it, but I will not go into that :)

  The "Communications" Server is a Pentium II 266 with 256MB of RAM. 2
Quantum Atlas II 4.5GB SCSI Drives, mirroring again. This machine is the
Internet Proxy, Exchange Server and Fax Server. Basically it does the job
:) This server is a member server, not a PDC or BDC. The other server is a
Pentium 166 with only 64MB's of RAM and is setup as the BDC.

  As you can see I am ready for just about everything. I even have UPS's
all around as well.

Good luck in your upgrade,

Tim Lider
Advanced Data Solutions              ICQ: 7562541
Web Site: http://www.adv-data.com E-Mail: Mailto:[log in to unmask]