From:
Richard Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Nov 2005 06:56:17 -0500
There is no "one size fits all" for the way jumper pins are jumpered.

Maxtor has around 3 to 5 different configurations for "the pins" themselves
before you even try to figure out where to place the jumpers.

Older WD drives are different from newer WD drives.

AND, some drives have little pictures of where to place the jumpers,
BUT I have found those pictures to be a sub-set of the full jumper
positions available...  They are sometimes missing CS and limitation settings...
They are often missing "jumper storage" positions for when "not" using a
jumper...

To answer your question: If you have always set drives with the jumpers
in a certain way, it was just good luck and likely because the drives were
very similar to each other and "more than likely?" the same brand...

The only way to be sure about jumper settings on a particular drive is to
look them up at the manufactures WEB site for that exact Model Number...

                                            Rick Glazier