From:
Kevin Nowicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 8 Oct 2002 03:46:45 EDT
In a message dated 10/7/2002 10:40:24 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:

<< Bought a WD 80 Gig HD (8 meg cache) and a Siig ATA 133 controller.  The
 set up;

 Abit BX-6 Re.2
 P3 550
 448 Meg RAM
 1) WD HD 80 ATA 100 (C, D. E, F, G, H, I)
 2) Maxtor 13.4 ATA 33 (J, K, L)
 3) Liteon 16X DVD/CD ROM
 4) Liteon 32X CD R/RW
 5) Liteon 48X CD R/RW

 Problem:  Card shows no conflict.  I have tried virtually every possible
 combination to get this puppy to work.  WD as master on card IDE 1 and
 Maxtor as master on card IDE 2 was the logical starting point.  This
 setup results in IOS Window abort error.  System is always unstable when
 WD is on card.  Current setup is WD/Maxtor as master/slave on MB IDE #1,
 DVD/32X as master/slave on MB IDE #2, 48X as master on Card IDE #1.
 This is ridiculous!  System is stable in this configuration, but WD ATA
 100 is running at ATA 33.  Siig tech support says they can't see what
 I'm doing wrong, if anything.  I'm really getting tired of plugging and
 unplugging cables and moving jumpers as drives go from master to slave
 and back to master.  I'm using 80 wire cables on the HD's. >>

Art,
I had similar probs with my siig card and 80gig WD although I don't have as
much plugged in as you do.  What solved the problem for me was plugging in
the card and putting WD into card then went into bios and told comp to boot
from scsi.  That way it will bypass the IDE 0 & 1 and find the active
partition via scsi (the siig card).  Make sure you have partition marked as
active.  See if that works first before you plug in other items.

If you decide to put the Maxtor on the IDE channel make sure it has no active
partition.  Otherwise, comp will assign that as C:.  You may want to run the
cd burners off both IDE's and put the Maxtor on the second channel of the
siig card - - just an idea.

HTH,
Kevin Nowicki

                         PCBUILD's List Owners: