From:
Don Gray <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jun 1998 09:36:02 -0700
Ridwan wrote:

> I run linux (RH5) on 386DX-40, 16MB RAM with 520MB harddrive. I use it as a
> router for internet connection in a home network. The number of maximum
> users is only 4. I plan to add some more computers (about 2 or 3, maybe).
>
> It seems that my linuxbox have to be upgraded too.
> What is the best upgrade for that box? Add some more RAMs, CPU upgrade, or a
> whole big upgrade?
> Is a system with 486DX4-75 or 100Mhz with 32MB RAM and some more drive space
> enough for linux as a proxy server?
>
> TIA, sorry for my bad english... ;-)

If I were you I'd wait and see how your Linux box works with the new computers
added to the network; if you notice a slowdown THEN plan an upgrade.  One of the
attributes of Linux is that it can do a lot with only a little--so I'd let give
it chance (and save some money too).  Now if you need to upgrade the 486DX4
choices should work fine.

I might offer another possible suggestion for upgrading.  Depending on your cost
for upping to the 486 you may consider upgrading to an AMD K6-233 (or similar)
system.  I've done a lot of these lately and they give a lot of speed for
relatively little money.  You would probably only need to replace the
motherboard (I've used ASUS SP97-V which includes onboard 64bit video and sells
for around US$80); the AMD K6-233 chip (around US$76
[http://www.thechipmerchant.com]), and new memory (32meg for around US$35).
This will give a pretty fast machine (slightly below a comparable Pentium II).
It's probably overkill for what you want to use the machine for, but if it's
going to cost you a similar amount for the 486 you might as well get something
fast.  Just something to consider.

BTW, your english is very good.
--
Don Gray