Date:
Tue, 7 May 2002 21:51:33 +1000
1800+ on volcano7 should be much cooler than 50c, there is a chance that
either mobo didn't supply correct core voltage to CPU (ASUS mobo usually
supply 0.05v over the top of 1.75, latest BIOS may fix it, but many won't)
or the heatsink didn't sit properly. check with ASUS prob, if you see core
voltage hit 1.79 (or 1.8) all the time, you may need to adjust voltage in
BIOS (down to 1.70, it will be 1.75 then). As you know, volcano7 is heavy,
but the clip to hold only use one clip on socket, that in my opinion, can't
hold the heatsink for long, also, the weight of heatsink will make the
contact with CPU poorly. I usually use some cable tie to help to hold
volcano7 to its place (a bit hard to explain, basicaly, you use power supply
case as a support point, use some cable tie to help hanging heatsink to it).
the same trick can help volcano7+ too.

I also believe your 2x chasis fans didn't do their job, you should check
their function, a good airflow inside case is very important.  I'm using 2x
50CMF 8cm case fans with one slow (came with my case) 20CMF (my closest
guess, might be 15CMF) fan. even my A7V mobo gives 1.8v core all the time
and I'm overclocking my Geforce3 card, everything still kept in cool
condition. the heatsink I use is a WBK68II, to reduce noise (but gave up
cooling performance).

Jun Qian