From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Jun 2009 17:46:47 -0700
Don

I do not have "Other Devices" in my Device Manager. You might try right
clicking on each one and selecting uninstall. Restart the computer and
see if the drivers are loaded and/or devices go away. If they are still
an apparent problem, post which devices they are and what are the
probable device drivers on your CD. Someone might than be able to match
them up for you.

The replacement drive probably came out of a computer with a different
configuration of devices. You need to bring the configuration
information on the hard drive into conformance with the configuration of
the computer in which it is now installed.

As almost a last resort, you could reinstall Windows over the top of the
existing installation. That should correct the configuration issue and
leave any data on the drive. The last resort would be a clean reinstall
of Windows.

Tom

Donald DeWitt wrote:
> I had a new hard drive lying around and decided to install it. It appears
> that that has solved the problem and Windows now boots up in a normal
> fashion. However, in the Device Manager under Other devices, all of the six
> entries are in yellow and are in need of drivers. Here is where I could use
> some much needed advice. When I run the original cd labeled Device drivers,
> I get a long list of drivers and I am confused as to the exact ones I need
> to install. Also, do any of these drivers control internet access?
>

> Don
>

> On Fri, Jun 12, 2009 at 10:50 AM, Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
>
>> wrote:
>>

>>> Don
>>>
>>> Apparently the communication to/from the hard drive is not functioning
>>> well. Assuming you reseated the IDE cable at the motherboard and at the
>>> drive, there are a few other possible causes. The cable has gone bad, the
>>> on
>>> board IDE has gone bad, or the hard drive has gone bad. Only wanting to
>>> make
>>> one trip to a local retailer, I would buy a new cable and an IDE
>>> controller
>>> PCI card (both are relatively cheap). If these do not help, you likely
>>> have
>>> a problem with the hard drive.
>>>
>>> I just noticed that you were able to run a CD on the computer. If the hard
>>> drive and CD drive are on the same IDE cable, the possible causes are
>>> limited to the cable connection at the hard drive or the hard drive itself
>>> (hardware or software problem).
>>>
>>> I hope this helps.
>>>
>>> Tom

                    Digest mode - visit our web site: