From:
Dean Kukral <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 4 Oct 2004 22:32:14 -0500
When you boot into safe mode, you are booting with a minimum number of
drivers loaded to get the computer to run.

So, if you can boot into safe mode, but not all the way, then one of the
subsequently loaded drivers is likely causing a problem; or, possibly, the
hardware associated with that driver.

If I am not mistaken, ME permits you to boot to safe mode then load some
drivers one at a time?  (I have forgotten.)  If so, then you can go that
route and see if you can find where the trouble begins.

You might consider just reinstalling your video drivers, because you suspect
that the video was involved.  (It is not clear from your post if the
original monitor no longer functions.)

A "Windows Protection Error" occurs when a program tries to write to memory
that is outside of the area assigned by Windows to that particular program
(that memory is "protected").  (Often it happens when data gets corrupted
and has a wrong memory address, perhaps zero, which is reserved by the
operating system.)  So, in a computer that was working and is now working
only in safe mode, that suggests that some installed driver is corrupted
somehow.

If there is nothing on the disk of value, you could take the drastic measure
of reformatting and reinstalling.  But it may not be at all necessary to do
that.  Certainly reinstall your video card's drivers before anything like a
reformat.

HTH

Dean Kukral