From:
Kyle Elmblade <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 18 Dec 2002 08:34:42 -0800
O.K., here's my two cents.  I'm only piping in because I HAVE recently built
a dual Xeon with a SuperMicro motherboard.  I was able to use the mounts and
heat-sink retainer clips that came with the motherboard to mount the Intel
heat-sink.  However, the Intel parts included a shroud that enclosed the
heat-sink and secured the fan.  The mounts that came with the motherboard
did not have the retaining tabs that these shrouds clipped to.  I could have
used the motherboard's heat-sink and fans, but I really liked the idea of
the shrouds as they forced the air flow straight through the heat-sink.  So,
I fashioned large C clips out of paperclips to hold the shrouds to the
mounts.  It worked like a charm.  If you are interested, email me off-line
and I will provide a more detailed descriptions of how I did this.

(The following is purely opinion.)  By the way, there is no such thing as a
Xeon "workstation".  The Xeon processor is a server processor, and as such
built for servers.  I used a Supermicro case, and this was the loudest piece
of machinery I have ever assembled (at least, in the world of computers).  I
would NEVER want to have this thing as my regular workstation.  It would
drive me batty.  The thing had seven fans running in it.

One other "gotchya" to watch out for.  I ordered a dual-Xeon P4 motherboard
and two P4 Xeon 1.8GHz chips.  However, when I ordered the case, I neglected
to verify that I was getting a dual-Xeon P4 power supply.  Yes, there is a
difference.  Not only do you need the additional 4-pin power connector for a
P4, but you also need an additional 8-pin power connector for the dual-Xeon
setup.  Make sure your power supply is dual-Xeon P4 ready.  I actually saved
face by finding a supplier that had adapters to convert the hard-drive power
connectors to four and eight pin power connectors for the motherboard.  I
will NOT make the same mistake twice.

And to support Jun, the hyperthreading worked great.  That was a new one to
me.

Good luck!

Kyle Elmblade