From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 10 Jul 2002 21:56:53 -0700
On 10 Jul 2002, at 14:18, Paul J. Traynor wrote:

> Hi Joe,
>

> "Where are you having the problem?
>
> at one point you will have to make a disk on the win2k machint that you
> will have to run on the win98 machine and then everything should be okay
> from there".
>
> I am having the problem where I  have never done this before and am just
> learning the basics.  I  went through the win2k and win98 help on the
> subject of internet sharing and it was sparse in it's  configuring of what I
> wanted.  It told me to  open the properties of the  internet connection
> which I assumed was the  isp connection icon on win 2k this is, "the main
> machine" and  go to the "sharing tab" of the connections properties.  Here I
> was to click on "enable internet sharing for this computer, checkbox not
> checked" so I checked this and also enable on-demand dialing" I also checked
> this one.  having done this It said I had a system settings change and I
> should  restart my computer which I did, then the  network itself wouldn't
> work because  where once in the  "IP" address box, "192.168.1.1" I now had
> "192.168.0.1".  Only when I change this back to what I had it first at did
> the network on both computers work again.
>
> I didn't know where to go from here and really what I would like is for a
> simple outline of the  instructions I need to  first set up my win 2k
> machine, "the main computer" and then the win 98 machine" my second computer
> which will allow me to share the internet between the two machines.  As I
> said everything else works fine.
> .
>
> Many thanks,
>
> Paul.

  One of the things that I dislike about using Microsoft's ICS is
that it dictates that you use a specific range of IP addresses, with
192.168.0.1 as the sharing machine and 192.168.0.x for all other
machines on your LAN that want to share the connection.

  So instead of changing the Win2K machine back to 192.168.1.1, you
need it to be on 192.168.0.1 (where ICS set it) and to instead change
the Win98 machine (which probably also needs its default gateway set
to 192.168.0.1 ...).

Dave Gillett

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml