From:
Keats Pascoe <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 16 Apr 2000 10:06:53 EDT
>From: Bill Kapelas <[log in to unmask]>
>To: [log in to unmask]
>Subject: Re: [PCBUILD] performing low level formats
>Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2000 16:40:17 -0400
>
>Does anyone know what the low level format as performed in cmos setup
>(award bios)
>involves. I've seen this performed on ide drives without problem.
>
>On Thu, 6 Apr 2000 03:10:44 -0400, Kenneth Alan Boyd Ramsay wrote:

I've performed many low level formats.  Unlike a standard fromat the LL
deletes everything including boot sectors.  It will also tag bad sectors.
The LL format is good for solving many hard drive problems including hard to
fix virus.  After you have LL formatted you will need to run Fdisk in order
to rewrite the boot sector.  Make sure you have a boot disk with FDisk on it
before performing the LL format.