From:
Tim Lider <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Jun 1998 08:11:47 -0700
Hello David,

< On 06:08 AM 6/15/98 -0700, David Hole blasted something about >

>hi, I have a problem I hope that you ppl can answer..
>I Have a new HDD (5.1 Western Digital) that I want
>to install. Since Wind95a can't read a HHD of that size
>I got Win95b and my brother installed it on my new HDD
>on one of his computers. When I install the new HDD I
>get a 'I/O error, replace disk and hit a key' msg. I
>don't have a boot disk, however I do have a startup
>disk. I checked the fdisk and the HDD is partitioned.
>The BIOS sees the new HDD in auto detection and when
>the computer is getting ready to run win95, but then I
>get the I/O error msg. Using the startup disk I tried
>to access C:\ and got the invalid command prompt.
> The jumpers are set according to the diagram on the
>HDD and the cables are correct (red to pin 1). In BOIS
>it is set to LBA.I got the HDD on sale and it didn't come with a
>manual.
>Everyone I've talked to about this is stumped.

  Lemme give this one a try.  Since you formatted and installed Win95B on
another computer this could be the problem.  The drive configuration could
have been configured differently on the machine it was formatted on and
your machine does not see it the drive configuration the same (I hope that
makes sense.)

  Now this is what I would do:

Re-Fdisk the hard drive and format the hard drive on your computer. After
that is completed, re-install Win95.

If this seems not to work, it could be that he bios on your computer does
not support hard drives over a certain size. Yes, I have seen this. Some
bios's do not like drives over 2GB or 4GB, it depends on the data and make
of your bios. To remedy this problem, and you have a name brand
motherboard, goto the motherboards brand name website and download and
install the new bios.

Good luck,

Tim Lider
Advanced Data Solutions              ICQ: 7562541
Web Site: http://www.adv-data.com E-Mail: Mailto:[log in to unmask]