Date:
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 12:58:31 EST
In a message dated 1/6/2005 10:07:04 AM Eastern Standard Time,
[log in to unmask] writes:
Hello,  We have used a pair of "Tut Systems XL-600L"
http://www.tutsys.com/pdflibrary/pdf/XL600LD_DS.pdf
repeaters to connect our Ethernet to an external building at a distance of
over 500 feet.  We have had no trouble after several years and installation
was effortless.  We recently installed a pair of "Patton 2158 CopperLink"
repeaters
http://www.arcelect.com/Patton_2158_ethernet_extender.htm to link another
building.  The Tut is good up to 600 feet over a copper phone-wire pair with
a throughput of 10mpbs and costs about $280/pair.  The Patton boasts
12.5mbps possible over a single phone-wire pair up to 4500 feet(!) and costs
about $480/pair.  It was easy to install and has been working flawlessly.
Way faster and cheaper than PairGain.  If you bury cable on farmland, try to
put it "below plow depth" - usually 18 inches.

>A client wants to have Internet service (Direct TV) approximately 500 feet
> from the dish.
> I've been reading about External Ethernet cable and active hubs. There
> seems
> to be a limit of 100 meters.
> Is there a wireless solution? Line of sight is possible.
> There's no problem with burying the cable on this farmland, and money
> seems
> to be available in reasonable amounts.
> Any thoughts on the best approach to this problem would be appreciated.
Hi,
  Another thing to be aware of when running long runs of wire outdoors is the
possibility of a nearby lightning strike causing a power surge in it, and
frying equipment on both ends of the cable. Although more expensive, converting
to optical at each end and running fiberoptic cable will eliminate this
potential problem. It's up to you as to whether the cost is justified.

Hope this helps,
Peter Hogan

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml