From:
Bharat Ale <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Oct 2002 23:36:06 +0530
PCBUILD Digest - 25 Oct 2002 to 26 Oct 2002 (#2002-300)How often is it possible to have a defective CPU that works ?

I have a client who has PIII 800 MHz.

This CPU doesn't work in most of the cost-effective motherboards available here. Whereas the same motherboard has been known to work fine with other PIII 800 MHz CPUs.

But this CPU works in Intel PIII motherboard one other particular motherboard ONLY.

I compared the CPU with other 800 MHz PIIIs that had worked in the motherboards in which this particular one didn't work. The only difference I found was that all other CPUs were marked Malay (besides the Pentium III 800 / 256 / 133 /1.75v mark) whereas this one was marked Costa Rica. Otherwise, they are all identical.

Of course I've checked with every possible bus speed, RAM, and any other relevant settings.

What I cannot determine is whether this CPU is defective or not ?

Any suggestions ?