From:
Mark Rode <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 13:45:58 -0800
I have a Toshiba XM-620!B SCSI CDR. It has stopped working.
I see it when the Adaptec 2940 BIOS loads.....i see it in Windows 98 and
also when I boot from a floppy with SCSI drivers.
No error messages ..no hangs ..no struggling ..you put a CD in ...the light
flashes and goes out but attempting to access it acts like no CD is in the
drive. This occurs in DOS or windows with different drivers.

At fist ninety percent of the time it doesn't work then all of a sudden it
works !! Now it never works.
When I put a CD in the drive the light flashes a couple of times and stops
like it should but it isn't there in explorer.
  Device manager shows everything is fine no conflicts. I have checked the
jumpers a dozen times. I tried installing a brand new Adaptec Cable.
Finally I pulled it out and hooked it up in another PC to a Adaptec 2906
that was running another identical Toshiba CDR...same symptoms ..doesn't
work. Then I opened it up and gave everything a good cleaning although it
didn't appear to be dirty....didn't help.

I am guessing that maybe the read heads are out of alignment or something ?
Any ideas  or is this thing dead for keeps.

thanks

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,
                          http://freepctech.com