From:
Drew Dunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 16:27:08 -0700
I've got the Radeon 32DDR and it works very well, particularly with games
that use 32 bit color.  But the GeForce GTS is definitely a huge step up in
performance.   It should be because it costs about twice as much as the
Radeon.  I suspect that in your case, you'll find that either card's
performance will be limited by your processor's and memory's bandwidth.  But
you'll still get a huge improvement from either over the Number Nine card.

I would say that if you are planning on upgrading your system's motherboard,
memory and processor within a year or so that the GTS card would be a good
choice.  If not, I'd go with the Radeon since with the GeForce card you'll
be buying performance that you'll never use.  You also might want to take a
look at the GeForce MX card.  It's priced in line with the Radeon and I hear
that it performs quite well for a "budget" 3D accelerator.

As far as the driver issue goes, Nvidia definitely gets the nod for keeping
on top of things.  I've noticed that ATI has done a much better job lately
with the Radeon drivers.  I suppose that after being bitten by their poor
performance on the Rage chipset they're giving driver support more
attention.

I reviewed the Radeon at http://www.nospin.com/2000_02/014.html and compared
it to a GeForce GTS so perhaps that will help you.

Drew Dunn
The NOSPIN Group