From:
Rosie Richter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 03:34:38 -0500
Hi all,
I just installed an AV7 Asus motherboard along with an ATI Wonderboard (AGP)
and my system is acting very strange  - especially when I try to change the
display.

When I change the display, I get the message that I must reboot.
I reboot and get a black screen in Dos(?) that says Windows protection
error, please hit any key.   Then the computer shuts down... when it doesn't
freeze.

I reboot and I go to Windows 98 and am in safe mode.  I reboot again.  Then
I get the message that there is a "problem with my display settings.  The adapter
type is incorrect, or the current settings do not work with your hardware."
If I leave the display at 16 colors, I at least have access to my computer.

I can't believe that Asus and ATI would have a confli
ct so I suspect I've done
something wrong.  I've gone to CMOS and changed a few settings but that hasn't helped.
I've run msconfig and tried to start up with bare minimun.  Still no luck.

My son suggested that I just reformat my hard drive since it might have settings for my
other motherboard and configuration.  That sounds logical and is probably a good idea
 but I'm hoping it's not necessary.

Another thing that happens is that sometimes when I reboot, the computer tries to install
new hardware.  In actuality, it's only installing the hardware already installed.
I notice that I get conflicts with the keyboard and Direct Memory Access Controller.
At boot up, I also get a message that say something like Ultra 100 bios not set up.
(Sorry... my memory is bad so I've probably got the wording wrong.)

Anyway, my question is:  Does the harddrive need to be reformatted or is it possible that
the motherboard is
 bad?  Any other suggestions?

Thanks very much for any advice you can give me.

Rosie Richter

I'm