From:
Tom Turak <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Dec 1999 09:59:39 -0500
The KNE40 is a great NIC.  It uses the DEC 21041 chipset, doesn't it? not
the Intel.  I make that distinction because under win95b it installs
DEC drivers from the Microsoft cd, in fact the Kingston driver disks do not
contain any files for Win95.  If you can spare the NIC I would reinstall
it.  I have seen across the board (regardless of cpu mhz) performance
improvement for this NIC over so called "client" NICS, those that use
chips like the RealTek and rely on the host cpu for everything.

The KNE30, on the other hand, must install the drivers supplied by
Kingston for win95, although not for win98.  I would get the latest
from their site if you don't plan to upgrade to win98.  You also have to
follow Kingston's installation instructions.  These will install a
diagnostic program along with the drivers, although you need two KNE30
NICS installed on your network to execute the diagnostic program.
Although it has been some time since I last installed win95, I recall
getting yellow question marks in Device Manager showing a Realtek NIC
instead of a Kingston when I ignored Kingston's installation guidance
about the KNE30.

By the way, both win95 and win98 Device Manager report the KNE40 as
being a DEC 21041 instead of a Kingston, but this generic naming is
only true for win98 in the case of the KNE30, which reports it as a RealTek.

Also by the way, win95b will only install NETBUI and IPX protocols by
default.
You need to click "add, protocol, microsoft, tcp/ip" to add it to your
adapter,
but you may already know that.  You should delete protocols that you don't
need
to improve performance.
Tom Turak