From:
Peter Shkabara <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 9 Sep 2000 14:44:56 -0700
Cat 5 twisted pair (10/100baseT) is rated for wire runs up to 100 meters
(apx 300 ft). Coaxial cable, thinnet 10baseT cat be up to 185 meters per
run. So 40 feet is well within maximum design ratings for either type.

You cannot use BNC connectors on CAT5 twisted pair. CAT5 would use RJ45
connectors that are similar in appearance to modular telephone connectors.
BNC is used with RG58 coaxial cable that is also known as thinnet.

Peter Shkabara, P.E.
Computer Science Instructor
Columbia College - Sonora, CA
209 588-5156