From:
James Maki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 11 Jul 2005 14:48:26 -0700
Comments Inline --

Shouldn't be, but then I am not familiar with the Dell power supply setup.
Does the system have a CDROM, CDRW, or DVDROM/RW? The power cable used for a
CD or DVD should be the same as the one used for a hard drive (a four pin
molex). You can purchase a "Y" splitter. On that note, if you have a CD or
DVD, how is it connected? They are usually IDE devices. It may be possible
to purchase a new IDE cable that will connect both the CD/DVD and the hard
drive. So much depends upon how the system is set up.

> I noticed that the
> extra/unused cable connector that is supplied for a second
> drive hookup has
> a different configuration and is incompatible with the old
> drive. There is
> another unused connector there that does has the correct
> configuration but I
> believe it is for a ZIP drive hookup/installation and is a
> bit short in
> length. *

This may be an IDE connection. A new cable would eliminate the length
problem if it is indeed an IDE connector. Look at the motherboard. Are any
of the ports designated IDE/IDE1/IDE2? This would be a clue.

As a last resort, you could try calling Dell tech support. They may be able
to help you with the proper setup, if it is possible.

Good luck and let us know if you have additional questions.

P.S. The Promise Ultra TX/2 card would provide the proper IDE ports for the
hard drive, so that is an option that remains even if the motherboard does
not support any IDE devices on its own.

Jim Maki

                         PCBUILD's List Owners:
                      Bob Wright<[log in to unmask]>