From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 4 Aug 2004 00:50:11 -0700
  I wouldn't expect the enabler to go back and re-format your existing drive
partition -- that's a bit beyond its scope.
  There are three basic ways to handle this without reformatting the drive
and attempting to start over:

1.  Format the remaining space as a second partition.

2.  Use the "Disk Manager" (this was in NT and 2K, so I expect it's still
lurking somewhere within XP) to allocate the remaining space as an extension
to the C: partition.  On some level, it's really a second partition, but the
OS will hide this and make it look like one big drive to applications and
users.

3.  Use a third party tool, such as Partition Magic, to extend the existing
partition to the entire drive.

David Gillett

On 3 Aug 2004 at 21:42, Mary Boyes wrote:

> Hi All
>
> Just finished building my first PC.  Had a lot of fun and it was a success
> except for the hard drive partition.   The drive is a Maxtor 160GB ultra
> series.  Windows only can partition up to 137GB so I can't use all the
> storage on the drive.
>
> I found the Maxtor support page on this problem and I downloaded sp1 and
> then the Maxtor Big Drive Enabler.  When I installed the Maxtor Big Drive
> Enabler it said it was installed but when I went to device manager it said
> the size of C  is 131 GB but in the BIOS  and under capacity in device
> manager it is 160 and 156 GB.  I am thinking that I need to have winxp with
> sp1 before I format and downloading it after is not effective or am I doing
> something wrong. Is there a way to get my C drive up to full capacity?
>
> My motherboard is a ASUS P4S8X with a sis648 so I can't use the Intel fix.
>
> I could get an Ultra ATA PCI adapter card if there is no other way and do
> another winxp clean install.  Although 137 GB is large enough I still would
> like to have the use of all the storage.
>
> Thank you
>
> Mary boyes
>
>                          PCBUILD's List Owners:

                  Visit our website regularly for FAQs,