From:
"g.Computer9f" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 17 Apr 2009 22:43:39 -0400
After I thought about it, it's a little easier than I first believed.  The only real sticking point is step 8. below.  Any help with that I would really appreciate.

1. I will make an image of my C-partition (system)      (and backup my D-partition (data)).

2. I will install the new 320GB WD drive, along with the software for it and do the partitioning & formatting.
3. Next I will set up the rest of the mobo/hardware/drivers, etc.
4. I will install the OS just to be sure the WD drive & all the onboard drivers are completely set up properly with the OS.
5. I will do a few location manipulations to match my current system/partitions setup.

6. Then I will boot from an Acronis disk and image partition C at this point in the new install.

7. Now, I will  boot again from an Acronis disk and restore the image I made in step 1, above
(my data will not be affected because it is not on partition C).

THIS IS WHAT I'M CONCERNED ABOUT
8. Somehow I need to be sure this system (restored image), which was originally on a 120GB Seagate hard drive (and thinks it still is) understands that it is now on a 320GB WD hard drive.  Drives over 137GB are treated differently by XP.  I don't know what to do here.

9. Once step 8. is successfully completed, then I can image the C partition again, replacing the step 1 image, and from this point on, swapping back and forth until I get my new install up and running should be no problem.  (I just need to remember to always make a new image of whatever I have running BEFORE I restore over the top of it to put the other image (new-installing or old-working) back in.)

What I really need is advice on what to do in STEP 8.  I know enough about hardware and drivers to know I'm 80% ignorant.  I would really appreciate the help.

Thanks,
AnnaSummers

P.S.  You asked why three partitions?  If you are really interested, the answer is below original message.  (Actually, the 3 partitions will now be on the second hard drive, I will only have two on the primary drive.)