From:
"Nasser, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 7 Jan 2001 11:06:14 -0600
I think this is more of a "client" question than a
"hardware" question.

Your job is to install/configure devices? "Dumb terminal"
does not specify a device.

The "old" definition of "Dumb terminal" could vary from
an IBM 3270 terminal device (for "IBM mainframe") to
any of a number of ascii terminal devices from myriad
manufacturers (i.e. Lear Siegler ADM series, DEC VT52,
VT100, VT220/320 etc).

The "new" definition might conceivably apply to any
number of "thin client" devices.

I think you need to get more info from your client.
What did they have in mind when they requested
"dumb terminals"? Do they presently have
"dumb terminals" configured on their systems?
If not, why might they have felt that "dumb terminals"
would be practical/cost-effective, etc.?

I'd be glad to be able to help with this, but I think
we lack info ...

  Cheers,
  David

> Date:    Fri, 5 Jan 2001 20:59:57 -0500
> From:    Volkard Linke <[log in to unmask]>
> Subject: Dumb Terminals??
>
> Greetings everyone...
>
> Have a new client that would like me to setup one full machine and two
> "dumb terminals" for their business. The machine would mostly
> be used to
> enter customer names and info into a database from up to
> three different
> locations. Uhhhh... I thought "dumb terminals" went the way
> of the dinosaur
> when personal computer became affordable to the masses. Am I missing
> something here? Is it more affordable now days to opt for
> dumb terminals
> instead of "full machines"? Where would one look for
> wholesalers/dealers
> for these machines? Would they need to have Novell or other network
> software installed, thus making it more affordable to just
> put up three
> inexpensive 98 machines networked? Any ideas out there on
> this matter? Thanx
>
> Volkard Linke

** David Nasser                     **     [log in to unmask]    **