From:
David Gillett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Mar 1999 10:56:09 -0800
On 17 Mar 99, at 15:49, Michael Eisenstadt & Madelon  wrote:

> I am installing an Asus P2B in an Asus Elan Vital case.
>
> The m/b manual identifies the grounding pin for the various
> connections on the m/b.  The case's wired connectors' wires are white
> plus various colors. The connectors have an arrow and the letter S.
> Sometimes the white wire goes to the arrow + S, sometimes the colored
> wires go to the arrow + S.
>
> Would the arrow + S on the connector be the positive or the ground
> side?  Nothing in the documentation about this either.

  I've never seen the "S" that you describe.

  The common electrical convention is that the plain black or white
wire is the ground.  [I have no idea to what extent case manufacturers
adhere to this....]

  The nice thing about those case connectors is that they pretty much
fall into three groups:

1.  Switches, which don't care about polarity.

2.  The speaker, which doesn't care about polarity.

3.  LEDs, which won't light if they're backwards, but won't be harmed
by that either, so you can try them one way and then the other.

  The one exception I can think of is if the case offers an LED "speed
readout" -- I've seen directions for jumpering these, but I've never
used a case that had one.

David G