From:
Sunil Bector <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 12 Jun 1999 09:09:07 -0400
Hey everyone,

The second solution mentioned below is what is happening.  It's not a huge
problem, but it's somewhat annoying when I"m trying to sleep and the
monitor turns on and off.  I have not replaced the monitor or the video
card since the computer was purchased.  I've checked the cables, and they
appear fine.  There are no cracks or frays present, and both monitor cables
are snugly fit into their respective ports.  I cannot, however, check the
monitor with another computer, as I don't have one readily available.  The
monitor in "properties>settings>advanced" is set for a general monitor
type, with the Plug and Play model selected.  I'm pretty sure that's what
my monitor is, as it's just a generic model from Cybermax PC.  I just
installed new drivers for the video card, but many of you have mentioned
that it's the monitor that's acting up, so I doubt that the new drivers
would do anything.

Also, the first few days when I was at University, the monitor shut off
without the message, but then a few days later it appeared again.

Any other tips on how to rid myself of this problem, or should I call Cybermax?

TIA,

Sunil Bector

>  There are 2 solutions. If the message appears from time to time,
>you're in trouble -- and I already saw answers posted, so I won't
>waste time on repeating them.
>  Second solution is if it only appears some second - two before the
>monitor shuts down while inactive; this is perfectly normal situation
>then and merely means that the videocard stopped sending any data to
>monitor and entered powersave mode before the screen came out. (most
>modern monitors display either a screen test or "no signal input" and
>don't just black out if there is no signal).
>  But even if this is the case, the fact that this didn't happen
>before troubles me some.
>
>Best regards,
> Max Timchenko                   mailto:[log in to unmask]
>
>                Curious about the people moderating your
>                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
>                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html