From:
Bill Cohane <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 25 Mar 1998 03:36:59 -0500
At 01:22 25-03-98 -0500, Jose wrote:
>Dave Souza wrote:
>> This should remove the overlay and allow you to format the drive normally.
>
>What do you do when FDISK /MBR doesn't work? Have done it about a dozen times
>and still can't get rid of it.
>
>Do you or anyone else have a low level format for Quantum drives?

I saved the following information a few months ago. Several people have used
this method successfully.

This little debug program will completely clean off track 0 on your
hardisk.  Useful for removing drive BIOS overlays and such, and for
when drives don't seem to behave.  Will also completely remove track 0
viruses.  Of course, you will have to Fdisk and format when done.  Run
from DOS command mode if you have Win95, either boot into DOS, or shut
down and restart in DOS mode.  Do not run from a DOS Window out of
Win95.  I usually use an old DOS 6.22 bootable diskette on the problem
computer to run this.  Mind your spaces and capital letters.

debug<Enter>
-F 200 L200 0<Enter>
-a 100<Enter>
-mov ax,301<Enter>
-mov bx,200<Enter>
-mov cx,1<Enter>
-mov dx,0080<Enter> (change last 0 to 1 for drive D:, 2 for drive E:)
-int 13<Enter>
-int 3<Enter>
-<Enter>
-G=100<Enter>

** Notes:
1)  The letters in the first and last lines **must** be capitalized
letters, the rest should **not** be.
2)  In the line with the number 0080, change the last 0 to a 1 for
drive D:, as in 0081, and to a 2 for drive E:, etc.
3)  After the first couple of lines are typed and entered, you will
see numbers and memory addresses on the screen, don't worry, they are
supposed to show up.  The <Enter> on the line by itself after the
"int 3" line clears them everything back to the dash prompt so you can
type the last "go" command. (G=100)

Good luck,
Bill