From:
Rick Glazier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 6 Apr 2003 10:55:38 -0400
I have three of them.  Note there are at least two versions of
that MB.  You likely have the original version.  The second version
is called version ONE.  (This is the only dumb thing I found so far...)

There are also newer BIOS flashes available, mostly dealing with
a meaningless ACPI error in the event log, and HDs using the
new 48?bit addressing... (Over something like 130+G or so...)

This MB is a little picky about RAM, especially Crucial RAM that
is not bought through their WEB configurator. (I've posted before
about the four extra numbers they add to non-generic RAM bought
directly from them AND through their configurator.

If you have ANY chance to try different (good quality) RAM,
I would do it...
I "also" had two sticks of Crucial RAM that stopped working together
after 8 months... They replaced one, and all is fine...
I have also successfully used PNY in these boards, even in combination
with the Crucial Brand...  (Disclaimer: Crucial has stood by me and
their RAM 100%. I am happy and realize things can go wrong, be
bad, or otherwise not go as planned.)

I also think you have a problem reading the temps...
75*F is a normal CASE temp...  With that, the CPU should be around 100*F.
If you are reading temps in C in that range, (while still in specs), it is very high...
I'm using MBMv5 and VIA HMS v2.06

             Good luck,   Rick Glazier

From: "Kenneth P Walter" <[log in to unmask]>
> I'm trying to troubleshoot a WinXP system that's run fine for a while
> now, but recently it's become a nightmare.  The CD drive has become
> inoperable, and the system constantly freezes, even as little as 30
> seconds after booting.  The problem is certainly hardware, as it will
> freeze even in the BIOS setup screen.  Suspecting heat, I added another
> fan to the case, even though the temperature readings I'm getting are
> fine for the system, but that has proven ineffective.  The only other
> thing I can think of to mention is that the system runs perfectly fine
> if the side panel of the case is removed.  This is what made me suspect
> heat in the first place, though as I said, the temperature readings are
> just fine (75-85 degrees F for early crashes).  A few system specs, for
> those who might want them:
> OS: Windows XP Professional
> Motherboard: Soyo K7-VTA PRO
> CPU: AMD Athlon 800MHz