From:
A&C Thompson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 11 Jan 2001 09:24:41 -0800
Matthew,

This question was related to the (PCBUILD Digital Camera Woes) message that I posted last week.
Since then, I have returned the ISA card to the place of purchase, and am using the second serial
port (25-pin male) for the camera. As you suggested, I tried every combo of IRQ's and addresses, but
to no avail. I'm uncertain what the problem was, (likely my impatience or the card itself), but the
onboard serial ports and parallel port are all working fine now. Curiously, the most difficult
problem was the floppy drive - I kept getting an error on bootup "Floppy fail (40)", which I could
not resolve regardless of the jumper settings. The error only disappeared upon removal of the card,
which leads me to suspect something on the card was already fried. In retrospect, there may also be
a jumper or dip switch on my mobo which I failed to notice. Either way, the problem has been
eliminated - thanks very much for your time and advice.

Alan Thompson
----------------
Matthew wrote:

You may find it much simpler to return the Lava card to its original
settings and cycle through the predetermined settings in your BIOS, in
Award BIOS's (and many others) you can find auto, plus four presets for
your onboard serial connections.  Probably these settings are accessed
via "Integrated Peripherals".  This is faster and does not involve you
handling the actual hardware, thus reducing the risk of  mis jumpering
and/or frying your hardware.  In the process, write down your
_complete_choices for serial settings.  These choices are likely to
include both the memory address and irq as a pair.  In effect, your BIOS
choices will teach you which settings are appropriate.  I don't have
them memorized so I fall back on this procedure from time to time.

On second reading, you don't mention having anything already hooked into
your system's serial and parallel ports.  This puzzles me.  What is your
system (motherobard model if clone) and doesn't it have built in ports??

Reply to list if still stuck,

Matthew

A&C Thompson wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have an older pentium running win95b. I decided to add an ISA card to give me another serial
port
> and a parallel port. (Actually, the card has 2 of both, but I don't need them, so I removed the
two
> connected by the ribbons.)
>
> I'm having a problem configuring the jumpers. I'd like to use parallel 1 for my scanner, and
serial
> 1 for my digital camera.
> The card is a LAVA Complete 550P, and has jumpers for floppy, IDE, parallels 1&2, serials 1&2, and
> all the IRQ / address settings.
> It seems when I get one thing working, something else gets messed up. If anyone has the patience
> help me configure this, I could sure use some help.
>
> ( I'm no expert, obviously, but I do understand quite a bit, and we are just starting the hardware
> semester! )

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                    http://nospin.com/pc/pcbuild.html