From:
James Ruby <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Dec 1999 11:21:15 -0600
It sounds like your fan is diing.  You should be able to just open the case
and spray away, don't get to close to things and watch the connections so
none of them become loose.  I also never spray directly at the drives I
always try and go at an angle so the dust is been blown away from any
openings toward the back of the machine.

On 12/23/99 at 10:40 PM Lynn wrote:

>Dear List,
>
>First of all Happy Holidays to one and all.
>
>I've got a Gateway P5-100 and we bought it back in '96. Lately my console
>has been making some unusual sounds. It kind of sounds like the fan is
>straining somehow then it goes quiet again. Or it sounds like our Bassett
>Hound who does heavy breathing whenever you're eating something. I've
>dusted the console and blown out some of the gunk on the outside but I'm
>leary about opening it up and using the can of air on the inside. I
>thought about taking it to Sperry TV for cleaning but I wanted to get
>some of your opinions before taking "Buford" to the cleaners. It's not
>affecting the computer in any way but I don't want to wait for something
>to really go wrong then be without the computer for weeks.
>
>TIA
>Lynn Kucera
>
>                Curious about the people moderating your
>                   messages? Visit our staff web site:
>                     http://nospin.com/pc/staff.html

WWJD
http://www.pressenter.com/~jruby/