From:
Thomas Mayer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 12 Mar 2009 18:23:13 -0700
Since you are apparently used to changing drives, etc. , this is only a
reminder that the drive that is working in the computer needs to be
jumpered as a "master" or "cable select" and the added drive needs to be
jumpered as a "slave" or "cable select". If settings are as "cable
select", the drives must be attached at the appropriate locations on the
hard drives data cable. I've had some PC's that required "cable select".

Also, at the beginning of the first boot process, you might try going
into the BIOS/CMOS and making sure that the added drive is being
properly recognized by the computer.

The drive should work with Windows on it as well as having an "active"
partition. I've ended up with that configuration a few times.

I hope this helps.

Tom

ceares wrote:
> I'm pretty sure my motherboard is dead(computer comes on but doesn't boot, I took the memory out and turned it on, got no beeps)
>
> I need to recover the info on my harddrive. I tried installing it in my other computer as a slave drive, but when I turned the computer on, it immediately cut off.
>
> when I removed it my computer worked fine. I read that I can't install it because it has Windows on it? Is that the case, or am I doing something wrong?
>
> If that is the case, what else can I do to retrieve the info from the hard
> drive? I'm not particularly interested in replacing the motherboard on the old computer as I don't really need it.
>
> Don't know if it's needed, but old computer was Compaq 5006, hardrive is seagate 40 gb P ATA
> new computer is a GQ3131 also with a 40gb hard drive.

                    Digest mode - visit our web site:
                   http://freepctech.com/pcbuild.shtml